Well here I am snuggled under two blankets with the furnace blasting and several inches of snow piled up outside on our lawn. It's been a cold snowy winter in the Midwest and according to a well known ground hog we aren't anywhere near done with it yet.
This weather makes Sister happy and I am truly happy it makes her happy. It makes me...cold. I'm not fond of being cold. I am often cold and it's actually painful for me at times. I don't know if I have ever mentioned this...but I'm a fan of sun and heat. Sun and heat does not make me cold.
But today I am in the Midwest and it is cold...so I will layer up...drink lots of hot tea...maybe make some soup...and think on love. That will warm me up.
And that brings me to what I want to write about today. I've been thinking about what love really is.
So in my Quest to Celebrate Love this month, with the help of the apostle Paul, I made a list just in case you were wondering what love really is.
1. Love is waiting...even when you want attention right now...or a response right now...or understanding right now.
Love is waiting for God's perfect timing.
2. Love is kindness...even when your feelings are hurt...or you are tired...or things aren't going your way.
Love is showing a little kindness.
3. Love is contentment...even when this isn't where you want to be at this point in your life...even when others have what you think you want...even when it seems there is no end in sight for your situation.
Love is finding contentment in your life at this moment.
4. Love is humility...even when you know how to do it better....and quicker...and you know it.
Love is being humble.
5. Love is honoring others...even when you don't feel like they have honored you.
Just love them and honor them anyway.
6. Love is others-focused...even when you feel like it's never about you...even when you would really like it to be all about you and your feelings...even when you think it's your turn.
Love is focusing on others.
7. Love is forgiving...even when you want to be really mad...even when you are totally justified for wanting to be really mad...even when you have every right to be really mad.
Love is forgiving anyway.
8. Love is letting it go...even when you want to dwell on it...brood...and think about it some more.
Yes, sometimes love is just letting it go.
9. Love is truth...even when it hurts...even when it's hard...even when you want to avoid it.
Love is truth.
10. Love is protection...because when you provide it or when your receive it, it's comforting.
Love is protection (giving it or getting it).
11. Love is trust...even when you are scared...unsure...or unconvinced.
Love is pushing aside the fear...and trusting.
12. Love is hope...even when it seems insurmountable...or feels impossible...or is just unimaginable.
Love is imagining it anyway.
13. Love is perseverance....even when you have tried so hard for so long...even when you really just want to give up.
Yes, love is when you keep going and don't give up.
Truly, Paul said it better in 1 Corinthians 13:4-6
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
So I encourage you to wait, show kindness, find contentment, offer humility, honor and focus on others, forgive and just let it go, speak truth, protect, trust, have hope, and persevere. If you do...that is love... and you will not fail...because we are promised in I Corinthians 13:8 this very truth:
Love never fails.