Saturday, January 19, 2013

Celebrating our Engineer

Oh My!  It's good to be back.  I missed chatting with you the last couple of days.  The horrid stomach flu took me down for a bit.  I'm still a little weak and shaky, but thankfully I am able to eat again, and feel like I am on the road to recovery.

The flu came on quickly late Wednesday night, and I found myself pretty wiped out Thursday and Friday. I spent most of the last two days in the Hug Bed and was quite thankful we had purchased the new mattress!   Even though I wasn't feeling well, I tried to do a little something to meet my goals of my January Quest!

Thursday afternoon, when I felt like I could muster up a little strength, I did a few leg lifts in bed.  On Friday, I finally got up out of bed late in the afternoon, and trust me when I say, going down the stairs and later back up them to return to bed, was plenty of exercise for the day. 

Today I hoped to at least walk a little on the treadmill, but I soon found out that I was not as strong as I thought I might be.  We were out and about for a bit today and the walking I did get then (plus the stairs again and a few leg lifts) will have to be enough exercise for today.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to add a bit more.  Of course it was a bit disappointing as I felt like I was making good progress and even seeing some results from my efforts, but I am not going to let a few days of illness ruin my Rosie Outlook. 

So, tomorrow I hope to add more exercise to my day.

Write Something
Writing was actually more difficult for me the last two days because I had terrible headaches both days, and did not really sit up much.  I didn't feel like reading either, which is surprising for me.  I really slept most of the last two days.  I didn't even turn on my computer. 

However, I found I could connect with the "outside world" by using my phone.  I texted and posted a bit on Facebook, and although that is not truly the kind of writing I hoped to accomplish with this Quest, it was all the writing I could manage the past couple days.

Since I find myself feeling better this evening, I will share a little of our last couple days with you.  I think the most disappointing part of the past three days of illness was that it fell during our Engineer's 16th birthday.  That truly disappointed me. 

Celebrating birthdays is important to me.  Since the boys were born, I have always tried to make them feel extra special on their birthdays.  I usually decorate the house with Happy Birthday banners and signs.  I have made their birthday cakes myself every single year, and it's tradition for them to find a few carefully wrapped (in their favorite color) presents sitting on the kitchen table when they wake up in the morning. 

I'm pretty sure our Engineer knew I wasn't going to be feeling up to the all out birthday extravaganza that I usually pull off.  Thankfully, Hubby stepped into an area he isn't comfortable in at all and did a great job of making it a special day for our new 16 year old.

As I lay in bed that morning listening to Hubby wrap a present, it made me smile.  I loved that he was willing to do that for me.  Later I heard Hubby greet the Engineer as he came down the stairs, wishing him (in a very dad/guy way) a Happy 16th.  It tickled me that Hubby got to have that moment.

You see, Hubby's job has required him to be away during some of our important family events - including several birthdays.  I know it was sad for him each time.  On top of that, most years, I would be the first one to greet the boys on their birthday morning.  I usually got that little moment of being the first one to celebrate them.

This year, because I was sick in bed, Hubby got to have the quiet little moment with our son.  After breakfast, they both came up to the bedroom so I could enjoy watching our Engineer open his gift.  It was sad for me that I couldn't give him a hug or kiss or bake his birthday cake, but he's such a sweet tender soul, he just felt bad I wasn't feeling well.

Although it was a Friday, we had (before the flu knocked me down) planned to "take a family day".  Each year we have homeschooled, we have declared birthdays "school holidays".  Hey, it's a homeschooling perk.  Hubby was also able to have the day off and we were going to spend the day celebrating our Engineer.

Since I was not up for running around, I was very glad when Hubby and our Engineer (reluctantly) agreed the plan could go forward with just two.  They took off for lunch and the movies, then came back home for some gaming time. 

Finally by late afternoon, I felt up to getting out of bed.  Hubby had picked up a little chocolate cake, so we put candles on it, and sang to our teenager.  It wasn't quite the birthday celebration we had hoped to give him, but he sat there with a sweet smile on his face, enjoying it just the same.

Even our Scientist and his special girl, the Nurse, joined in by calling on Facetime to share in the celebration.  Although we missed them, I was thankful that we got share a bit of the day with them.  It left a smile on our Engineer's face.

Throughout the day, family and friends (near and far) called, texted, and messaged our Engineer their Birthday greetings as well.  There's no doubt he knows he is loved.

Later that night as I crawled back into the Hug Bed, I lay there thinking about how well the day had turned out anyway.  Our Engineer isn't one for a lot of noise and commotion.  He got to have some quality time with his dad, which was special and unexpected for both of them.  He saw how much we loved and cared for him and wanted him to feel celebrated, even if it wasn't what we planned.  And I knew he appreciated it.

Today, we were able to hop in the car and meet up with some of our family at my aunt and uncle's log cabin restaurant.  We had a wonderful time celebrating with family and enjoying delicious homemade food.  It was another special day that our 16 year old enjoyed and I was so glad I was feeling better and able to enjoy it with him.

Hopefully in the next few days, I will be fully recovered.  When I am, I will make his favorite meal (spaghetti with homemade meatballs and sauce) and his favorite cake (chocolate with chocolate pudding icing).  It will be a few days late, but I don't think he will mind.  We even have a few more family members to meet up with in the coming days, so the celebration will continue for a bit longer! 

And I say why not?  I'm so blessed to be his momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's your chance to say something!